A golf trip to Scotland is the perfect opportunity for all golf enthusiasts. The Ayrshire coastline is a beautiful place to explore and it’s the perfect place to play some golf at one of the many golf courses around this area. Book your stay with Mercure Ayr and relax in our newly refurbished hotel, savour delicious food and head to one of the many golf courses in Ayrshire for an amazing and exciting day.
We have highlighted some of the local golf courses below:
Royal Troon Golf Course
- Founded in 1878 by a few enthusiasts, Troon Golf Club soon outgrew its purely local reputation.
- The Old Course today represents a stern golfing examination and in particular, the inward half of Royal Troon is widely accepted as the most demanding of any Course on the Championship rota.
- 7.5 miles from our Mercure Ayr Hotel (approx. 20-minute drive) and only 3.5 miles from Glasgow Prestwick Airport.
Western Gailes Golf Course
- The reputation of Western Gailes as one of the game’s ﬁnest and more exacting courses has spread worldwide as evidenced by its numerous visitors from around the world including golﬁng legends from this and the last century
- 13 miles from Mercure Ayr Hotel (approx. 20-minute drive) and only 7.5 miles from Glasgow Prestwick Airport
- Originally known as Southern Gailes, the Kyle Philip’s-designed golf course was purchased by Loch Lomond Golf Club in early 2003 to provide its global Membership with a traditional links challenge.
- The name was changed to Dundonald Links to reflect the area’s rich history. Dundonald means ‘Fort Donald’ and fortifications have been discovered nearby dated to between 500 and 200 BC.
- 12 miles from Mercure Ayr Hotel (approx. 20-minute drive) and only 6.5 miles from Glasgow Prestwick Airport.
Follow us on Facebook
Ask the team at Mercure Ayr Hotel for advice and they will gladly point you in the right direction.